St. Bride's Church on Bride Lane, just off Fleet Street has a tower that looks like a wedding cake. You might think that the wedding cake inspired the spire built to the design of (who else?) Sir Christopher Wren. It was apparently the other way round. It inspired a local baker to design a wedding cake that looked like St. Bride’s tower. The name of the church no doubt helped with the inspiration.
Although the current St. Bride's, like many London churches, was built after the Great Fire of 1666, a church
has been here since Anglo-Saxon times, and possibly earlier. Part of a Roman street can be found
in its crypt. St. Bride’s was once known as the printers’ church. The
church contains a memorial to Wynken de Worde, the first man to set up a
printing press on Fleet St. After Fleet Street became synonymous with the newspaper press, it became known as the journalists' church. The interior was largely destroyed by enemy bombing during the Blitz, but has been restored. Today the church contains a memorial to journalists killed in the line of duty.